Good Morning! It is nice and sunny today but still really cold so I figured today would be a great day for some chili. We love our chili here and I am always getting asked “how can you make chili with out meat in it?” Well, just don’t put meat in it….you are still getting plenty of protein with all of the beans.
Recipe adapted from Robin Miller via foodnetwork.com (now we like a lot of “heat” in our chili, so I altered the original recipe to meet our five alarm taste buds.)
Its spicy healthy, packed full of protein and super easy!
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans (I used pinto), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag of frozen Lima beans
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 Green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 fresh Jalapenos, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) box of couscous
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot/slow cooker except the couscous and shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 10 to 15 mins before serving add couscous and cook till tender then top each serving with shredded cheese…Then Enjoy!
What is your favorite chili recipe?
Have a great Monday everyone!